What is Confirmation?
Confirmation is regarded as the final sacrament of Christian initiation, along with Baptism
and the Eucharist. Historically, Confirmation generally comprised one single celebration with
Baptism as confirmation completed the gifts associated with our baptismal grace. Over
time though, confirmation became a separate rite and sacrament as it was considered a
"sealing in" of the grace that God affords to each and every one of us. As the Catechism notes,
through confirmation we are "more perfectly bound to the Church, and are enriched with a
special strength of the Holy Spirit." For the youth of our parish preparing to receive
Confirmation, a series of preparatory classes are required to understand more fully what
it is to become a "true witness of Christ and to defend the faith by word and deed."
Preparing for the Sacrament of Confirmation at St. Peter's
In this age of the X-Box, text and instant messaging, understanding the importance of
Confirmation in relation to their faith life is extremely critical for our youth as they
grow in awareness of how they are tied to a "living" history of our Church, replete with
saints, sinners and the grace of God moving through us all. Through Confirmation, our youth
become more capable of assuming the apostolic commandments of Christian life.
To be eligable for confirmation you must:
- Regularly Attend Youth Nights for 1 Year
- Family must be registered and active at St. Mark or St. Peter Catholic Church
for at least 6 months
- The teen has received the sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist
- Be of the age of 14 years or older
- Full participation in the sacramental preparation process:
- Attend Youth Nights and any other Youth Ministry events
- Attend ALL required Confirmation meetings ~ 1 Saturday a Month
- Attend the Confirmation Retreat
- Choose a Confirmation Sponsor
- A Sponsor must be a Confirmed, practicing Catholic over the age of 16
- A parent cannot be a sponsor for his or her own child
- Weekend Mass attendance is required
- MASSPORTS must be signed every Sunday by a Priest or Deacon
- Chose a Saint for your Confirmation Name, research that Saint and write a report
- All Confirmation Students are required to complete 10 service hours
- Service hours may be done for the Church, community, an organization, etc.
PROGRAM FEE: $150 per teen Includes: Workbooks, Supplies & RETREAT FEE!
Confirmation Retreat is April 22-24, 2016
Receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation at St. Peter's
In the reception of Confirmation, the youth of our community become role models
of charity, love and service to the Church. As this sacrament can only be
administered by the Archbishop , confirmation is offered during a special liturgy
for the youth, their parents and relatives and the whole of our community to
celebrate in this most august occasion.
To register your child or for more information about our other sacramental preparatory
programs, contact the parish office.